The PFMA Parrot Symposium will be taking place 21st September 2022 at Chester Zoo, the full programme is now confirmed.
The event runs from 9:30am to 15:00pm, and includes the symposium, refreshments and lunch, and admission to Chester Zoo (an opportunity to visit the zoo after the event).
This unique networking opportunity is a great chance for all those interested in pet birds to hear the latest information on parrot nutrition and welfare from experts in the field, and collaborate on education in the sector. The talks will focus on the progress needed to improve the health and welfare of parrots kept in captivity, from a diet and nutrition perspective.
The event includes Keynote speakers Lauren Semet (Animal Nutritionist) and Mark Vercoe (deputy Curator of Birds), and the programme will include the following talks:
- Parrot Husbandry at Chester Zoo Lauren Samet (Animal Nutritionist) and Mark Vercoe (Deputy Curator of Birds), Chester Zoo
- Forty years of keeping parrots healthy – good nutrition is a major factor Alan Jones MRCVS (Chairman of The Parrot Society UK)
- Poor plumage? Too fat to fly? Clinical parrot nutrition – common problems and solutions Vicki Baldrey MRCVS (Avian Vet and lecturer at Royal Veterinary College)
- Parrot food production, from fields to feeding stations Dr Isabelle Kalmar DVM, PhD (R&D Expert, Versele-Laga Belgium and Co-chair of Fediaf Small Pets Working Group)
- Pet parrots’ feeding best practice and behavioural enrichment Tariq Abou-Zahr DipECZM(Avian) MRCVS (Exotic Animal Veterinary Surgeon)
The talks are aimed at a wide variety of parrot enthusiasts, from manufacturers and retailers, to veterinarians, zookeepers, wildlife experts, academics and students, animal welfare organisations, and any media platforms interested in pet birds.
Chester Zoo was specifically chosen as a great venue for the symposium due to its conservation breeding programme that’s working towards protecting two endangered species: The Ecuador Amazon parrot and the Philippine cockatoo.
The event will be sponsored by Arcadia Bird Lighting and pet insurers, Petcover group.
For more information on the event and registration, click HERE.